After returning from London to India the one thing I really miss from their gourmet stores is canned chopped tomatoes. They go really well with lots of dishes and also lessen down the preparation time. They are easy, quick and affordable. There are more than 30 ways to transform a can full of chopped tomatoes into a wonderful, healthy meal. That includes pasta bakes, soups, stews, quick breakfasts, salsa, curries, dips and lot more.
We are a country where tomatoes are available throughout the year and we don’t really need to rely on canned tomatoes at all. But yes, there are time when you get quite ripened tomatoes to home and worried about lasting them through the week of at least 3 to 4 days. And there is also a time of year when tomatoes are really cheap and you can buy them to preserve to last long.
For my surprise, I came up with my version of chopped tomatoes and it really works well. They are very easy to prepare and store. Tastes superb!
How to Make Diced Tomatoes Recipe
- 1 KG tomatoes
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Boil water in a large pan.
- Now Add tomatoes to the boiling water and let the tomatoes float in water for about 2 minutes.
- You will notice the peel of tomatoes will start to come out.
- Prepare a large bowl icy cold water.
- With the use of slotted spoon remove tomatoes carefully from boiling water and put into the pot of ice water.
- Once the tomatoes reach to normal temperature, pull their skins off.
- Dice the tomatoes into preferred size.
- Put the sauce pan over medium high heat and add half of diced tomatoes to it and bring to a boil by mashing with potato masher continuously.
- Add in the rest of the diced tomatoes to the sauce pan and allow it to simmer for next 10 minutes.
- Add seasoning as pet the taste.
- Can be used immediately or freeze for later use.
- If freezing place then transfer the cooked chopped tomatoes into freezer safe bag and put in freezer. This will last for months.