One of Holi’s most demanded drink is Thandai Drink. This holi special recipe adds more joy to Holi festivities. This nuts flavoured chilled milk drink is one desires when the temperature soars. The thandai recipe belongs to Rajasthani & North Indian Cuisine and mainly associated to Maha Shivratri and Holi festivals.
There are two common variants of Thandai namely Badam Thandai which means Almonds in English and Bhang Thandai which is Hemp in English. We are here will be making Badam Thandai, can be enjoyed by everyone in the family from kids to old age family members. Even though the Thandai drink is made without sugar, people with diabetes should have it in moderate amount. My Thandai recipe is all what a vegan diet follower requires.
One of the holi special recipes Thandai is a refreshing and healthful drink which is savoured in midst of Holi play when people becomes quite exhausted, the glass full of badam thandai comes to the rescue as an instant energy booster. The thandai ingredients are as simple as they can be found in every Indian kitchen. Below is the recipe for Thandai with complete Thandai ingredients list and method to prepare.
- Milk – ½ ltr
- Almonds blanched and peeled – 10 pcs
- Cashew nuts soaked – 10 pcs
- Melon seeds – 2 Tbsp.
- Deseeded and sliced Dry Dates – 10 pcs
- Green Cardamom – 8 pcs
- Fennel seeds – 1 Tbls.
- Black pepper – 7 pcs
- Black peppercorn – 7 pcs
- Saffron (few strands) or Turmeric (1 pinch)
- Rose petals – 20
- Chia seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Sliced Cashews – 2 to 3
- Put saucepan on flame and pour milk to it and let it bring to a boil.
- Add sliced dates to milk now and let it simmer for more 10 minutes.
- Now add saffron strands or turmeric to milk.
- Get together almonds, cashew nuts and melon seeds in a blender with a little milk. You can also add poppy seeds. Grind them all to a fine paste.
- For Thandai powder recipe, in a stone mortar or stone hand grinder add fennel seeds, black peppercorn, black pepper and green cardamom. Grind them to a fine powder.
- Now add Thandai powder and paste to the milk saucepan and let it simmer for next 4 – 5 minutes.
- Bring the milk off from flame and let it cool down completely.
- Pour in a tall glass with rose petals and chill in refrigerator.
- Sprinkle chia seeds, sliced cashews and rose petals on top of chilled Thandai.
The traditional Holi Thandai recipe is ready to serve and please the guests.