Once you fall in love with veganism and that becomes the way of your life, you start creating experiments with recipes. We all know the benefits of chickpeas, they contain high amounts of fibre, protein and iron, they also contain vitamin B6 and manganese – and the combination of these nutrients are just irrepressible. Chickpeas are also known as chole in India and they are ridiculously tasty dish in our Punjabi cousin.
Though the Punjabi chole are always my favourite but recently I realized the fusion Chickpeas Curry recipe is becoming by second favourite. Do you know the best kind of recipes are ones which you keep on making very often and this is what I am doing since I tried Chickpea Curry recipe a few months back. The ingredients are really simple and easily available too.
The vegan chickpea curry recipe is such a comfort food you can have with rice or bread, I like to have it with rice though. I can only say about the recipe is it is an awesome vegan take on the insanely popular dish ridiculously tasty and nutritious. The important fact about my dish is it is cooked in minimal amount of oil. I do cook it without oil too by directly adding onions to the non-stick pan and keep on adding rest of the ingredients as mentioned in the recipe below.
Chickpea Curry, Chole Curry Recipe – Awesomely Vegan
- For pressure cooking chole or chickpeas:
- 3 cups white chickpeas soaked overnight
- 4 to 5 cups water for pressure cooking the chickpeas along with 2 teaspoon salt or add as required
Ingredients for chickpea curry
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes
- 5 to 6 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Thumb size ginger, finely chopped
- Tomato puree 3 – 4 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powder optional
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk, low fat would work too
- 2 to 3 green chilies slit
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- Salt and black pepper powder – as per taste
- 1 bunch coriander leave_
- 1 lemon juice
How to make Chole recipe
- In a pressure cooker add the chole along with water and 1 tablespoon of salt
- Pressure cook the chickpeas for 20 to 25 minutes on low flame.
- Put a pan on flame and add a tablespoon of mustard oil
- When you can see smoke coming out of the oil add onions and garlic. Let them cook till the onions are light brown in color.
- Now add chopped tomatoes into the pan. The chopped tomatoes recipe is here.
- Also add 3 – 4 tablespoons of tomato puree.
- Let them cook for 1 minute.
- Now add finely chopped ginger and all dry masalas to pan and let it cook for 30 seconds.
- Add coconut milk to the pan. Add some water to adjust the consistency.
- Simmer for 2 minutes, the curry consistency is not thin, but medium consistency or you can keep it dry by not adding water in last step.
- Stir the gravy well and add cooked chickpeas to it and let it simmer for next 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaved to chickpea curry and mix well.
- Add lemon juice and adjust salt and pepper.
- This chole/chickpea curry recipe also tastes good with steamed rice or jeera rice or breads