Earlier in the month we have learnt about health benefits of Bathua/Pigweed. Have also shared a recipe of lentil cooked with Bathua/Pigweed named Sakpaita, which is a recipe from western U.P. Today I am going to share another recipe with yogurt using bathua/pigweed leaves.
Indian name of recipe is Bathua Raita. Which is prepared without oil. The dish complements best with stuffed paranthas, stuffed kulcha, biryani and veg pulao. As we are committed to maintain a healthy eating habit, we will know more on healthy versions of stuffed paranthas, stuffed kulcha, biryani and veg pulao in upcoming posts on the blog.
In this recipe, we will use roasted seasonings of cumin seeds and asafoetida to avoid oil tempering and retain flavours. We will also add dry grounded black mustard seeds for a pungent taste. You can also add sliced, chopped or diced green chillies to add a that tang to bathua raita recipe.
Here is the recipe for Bathua Raita:
Ingredients for Bathua/Pigweed Raita/Yogurt
- Bathua bunch 1
- Yogurt 2 cups
- Table Salt to taste
- Back Salt 2 teaspoon
- Black Mustered seeds grounded 1 tablespoon
- Roasted Cumin seeds 2 teaspoons
- Roasted asafoetida 1 teaspoon
- Green chillies 1 or 2 as per tang you want to add to recipe
- Clean and wash bathua leaves thoroughly. Blanch them in two cups of water for two to three minutes either in cooker (1 whistle), saucepan or microwave. Drain, cool and grind coarsely.
- Heat a pan and add cumin seeds, when the cumin seeds start crackling add asafoetida to it and roast for a few seconds. You can also roast them separately.
- Ground mustard seeds with the help of rolling pin or hand grinder also known as Stone Mortar.
- Whisk yogurt and add the ground bathua leaves and mix well.
- Now add black salt, table salt, grounded mustard seeds, roasted and grounded cumin seeds and asafoetida to yogurt and bathua leaves mix.
- Add sliced or diced chillies to add tang to raita recipe.
- Final step, transfer into a serving dish.
- To garnish sprinkle roasted cumin seed powder and green chilli and serve chilled or at room temperature.
Below is the quick glance recipe preparation video: